Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chapter 4: Wikis

My only experience with wikis has been with using Wikipedia. I have used this site to search for information when I was writing a research paper and I have used it to search for information on various topics to use in my classroom.  Recently I used Wikipedia to search for information on polar bears to share with my first graders.  Some of my students were actually familiar with the site and they enjoyed watching the videos about polar bears.  However I have found Simple English Wikipedia to be more age appropriate for my class.  This chapter made me think about ways I could use wikis in my classroom.  I liked the idea of creating an online text for the curriculum that the students could contribute to. My students are always talking about great websites they find at home about topics we are studying and it would be great if they had a place where they could share these sites with their classmates.  I am looking forward to exploring some of the examples from the chapter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment