Thursday, January 24, 2013

Online Collaborative Inquiry-Classroom Blogging Ventures and Multiple Literacies

I can clearly remember the first time I went to the library with my father and how excited I was to get my own library card.  Being able to take out books from the library was such a treat and I would look forward to choosing new books each week.  When I shared this experience with my first grade class some of students looked at me as if I was speaking another language and many of them have their own Nook at home. I do not have a Nook or Kindle and I am hesitant to purchase one.  I still enjoy going to the bookstore and buying an actual book I can turn pages in. Eventually I will probably end up buying one of the reading devices but for now I am happy to be a bit of a "dinosaur".

All of the advances in technology are amazing and new thing are being developed everyday.  The students in my first grade class are very tech savvy and definitely know more than I probably ever will. I certainly agree that the growth in digital tools has a positive effect on the students, not only does it motivate them but it can increase and/or enhance their learning.  I also agree that the technology itself is not solely responsible for student success, it is how effectively the technology is used in the classroom.  Having my classroom blog has been a great tool for my students and their parents and I am looking forward to learning about new ways to improve my blog and how to integrate these new technologies effectively into my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 1,000% ! I am very traditional, and I love reading a paper book, or magazine, or newspaper. I also think that you are absolutely right when you say that how effective the technology is used is connected to student achievement. There is a whole other world out there with technology, specifically educational technology. It's an exciting time, and I am excited to begin to use it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, Kate! I am traditional and enjoy reading paper books to my students. I also love going to the book store like Barnes and Noble and hanging out in the children's section to search through all the amazing books. I do own my own iPad and I read on it occasionally, but it just isn't the same. I still buy books to read because I like to hold them and turn the pages. I want to use as much technology in my classroom as I can because that is the way that educating our students is going. I look forward to learning more about technology and how to use it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete