Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chapter Two: Weblogs


In our district there has been a considerable push for more technology in the classrooms.  As part of this push many teachers in my school started their own classroom blogs.  With students coming up from Kindergarten with blog experience, the push has been for each grade level to have their own blog.  Last year I started a classroom blog with the help of one of my first grade colleagues.  I have to admit the thought of adding one more thing to my “overflowing plate” seemed overwhelming but I decided to make it one of personal goals for the year.  Going into my second year I have to say I absolutely love it!  It was not easy at first but after learning about all the tools and setting aside a time to post it started to become easier.  The main purpose for my blog is to inform parents about what we are learning about in the classroom.  I post videos which relate to the curriculum and links to websites the students can use at home.  I also create videos using Kizoa to post photos from class fieldtrips, classroom activities and student work samples.  The response to my blog has been very positive; the parents really appreciate the updates and the links.  The students love seeing their work and the videos of themselves.  As I move forward with my blog I am looking forward to creating a page for the students to post comments and to add their own links.    

4 comments:

  1. It is great to hear that you have had such a positive experience with blogging in the classroom. It is something I would love to try, but feel as though it is overwhelming with everything else going on. Your post is very encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to make a classroom blog, and that the parents and students enjoy it. My goal this year is to make a classroom blog. If you have any great ideas please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I think that it is great that starting a class blog has been a positive experience for you. I would really love to start a class blog, possibly for next school year. I hope that my experience is going to be just as great as yours. I love how you share pictures on your blog and links for parents. This is what I am most interested in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you put a link to your class blog on this blog for us to see how you use the classroom blog? Perhaps you can create a post about the blog and then insert a link to it for us. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete