Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chapter One: The Read/Write Web


Actual quote from one of my first graders…”Last night while I was on my iPad I Facetimed three of my friends. I sent them a video of my first skiing lesson!”  At that moment I realized a few things, #1 I need to invest in an iPad, #2 I am so glad my mother does not have any videos of any of my “firsts” and #3 things have certainly changed since I was in first grade!  I am constantly in awe of how tech savvy my first graders are on a daily basis and how many of them have access to such a wide variety of technology tools at home.  I will be the first to admit that I was not raised with personal computers, cell phones or even a DVD player!  I think my first experience using a computer was in middle school and it was about the size of a small suitcase!  I can clearly remember the first day I used my Smartboard in my classroom and one of my students had to show me how to freeze the screen so I could do a search without showing the whole class.  Most of my students had a Smartboard in their classroom in Kindergarten and had a great deal of experience using it.  My children have a Smartboard in their preschool classroom and they know how to find apps on my phone faster than I can.  Technology is everywhere and there are so many valuable resources which can be used in the classroom.  I use some form of technology in my classroom everyday and not only do the students enjoy it they almost expect it.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Kate!My first experience with computers was a Mac in high school which did not do much.We wrote simple programs that added single digit numbers!Clearly, my students and my own children know more about technology than me...time to learn a new skill.

    ReplyDelete