Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Animoto Project

In first grade we teach a science unit on Emperor penguins.  The students learn all about these amazing animals through books, videos and independent research.  We have a list of vocabulary words the students need to know by the end of the unit.  In the past I have used the book Penguins by Gail Gibbons to introduce the vocabulary words.  However some of the words are not in the text and I have to introduce the words after the reading.  I decided to make an Animoto using the key vocabulary words the students needed to know.  My students absolutely loved the video...the room was so silent!  I asked the students what they liked best about the video and they said the images.  They liked how the images matched the words and it helped them to remember the words better.  I was also surprised many students said their favorite slide was the one with the krill.  When I asked them why they said it was because krill are such tiny creatures and it was helpful to see an enlarged image.  One student commented that he liked the theme of the video with the falling snow and he felt it was an appropriate choice given the habitat of the Emperor penguins.  What a powerful teaching tool...can't wait to use it more in the classroom!

                      (all images courtesy of Google Images)

12 comments:

  1. I loved your video! I really liked that you showed the vocabulary word and then the image along with the definition of the word. The images you chose really described the definition of the vocabulary word. I also liked that you included some of the feedback you received from your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited I stumbled across your animoto. I am just finishing up my penguins unit but would love to include this as a review of important vocabulary if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please feel free...thanks for taking a look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved your video! I just want to show my students just because it is amazing! What a great teaching tool for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I agree with Lauren-I want to show my class, too! I think they would love the pictures. Your choice to use the snow globe was perfect. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, when you have a chance, check out Stephanie's blog from the Manchester Cohort. She also teaches 1st grade. By the way, thought it was cool that one of your first graders tried out Animoto. Seems like a good site to start 1st graders with to get them thinking about digital storytelling. Plus, the site does not require writing much, unless the young children want to add a few words here and there. Here is a link to Stephanie's blog: http://toneyeduc584.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate, I just came across this blog post about Adelie Penguins, and thought to share it with you. http://soaringthroughthird.blogspot.ca/2013/02/a-week-of-firsts.html This third grade teacher also has an amazing website. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful job you did on this animoto! I'm sure your students will love it. The vocabulary terms are a great way to introduce this unit and explain the key words to the students through the visual cues.

    ReplyDelete