Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Friendship Through the Eyes of a Child: A Digital Storytelling Project

Kelly and I decided to create a digital story about friendship. Kelly asked her preschool students to draw pictures about ways they could be a good friend. I also asked my first graders to draw pictures showing what it means to be a good friend. After they completed their drawings I had my students write about their pictures. I told my students we were going to be working with another class on this project and they were excited to see the drawings from Kelly's class.
I showed the video to my class and they absolutely loved it!  They enjoyed seeing their pictures and hearing the words they had written. My class enjoyed seeing the pictures Kelly's class made and they liked their suggestions for ways to be a good friend. I asked my students how we could use this video to help other children. One student suggested showing the video at the beginning of the school year to help students make new friends. Another student wanted to know if we could translate the video in different languages so students from around the world could learn from it. My all time favorite response..."I should show this video to my little brother so he won't be in the time out chair so much!"
I really enjoyed collaborating with Kelly's class and I know my students will remember this project for a long time!  Take a look and let me know what you think!
                       

1 comment:

  1. I saw your digital story on Kelly's blog and I love it! It is such a great way to show collaboration between grades. I like how you both read what your students wrote about being friends. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete